Deciding to have a tattoo removed is not a decision most people make very easily. It could be a result of reasons ranging from changing your mind, to the tattoo having lost its significance.
Whatever your reasons, there are tattoo removal services available to help you. As a skin clinic that offers tattoo removal services, we have removed dozens of tattoos of every size, shape and colour, and over the years have compiled a few things you need to remember before booking your appointment. These points will help ensure a positive outcome for your removal.
The following qualities of your tattoo will impact the success of its removal:
- Tattoo removal works best on older tattoos
Generally speaking, older tattoos are easier to remove than newer ones, which have harder pigments that are designed to stay vibrant for longer.
- Tattoo removal works best on exposed tattoos
Tattoos exposed to the elements, such as those on your hands, neck or face, are easier to remove than ones placed in areas that remain covered, like the arms and legs.
- Tattoo removal works best on certain colours
Black and green are the easiest colours to remove, while yellow, turquoise and purple will require more work.
- Tattoo removal isn’t guaranteed
Not all tattoos can be completely removed, and you might never be able to remove the ‘shadow’ of the tattoo.
Now that you have a better idea of what the results of your removal will be, here are a few pointers to prepare you for the process:
- If your tattoo is on exposed area, and if you have a tan, always wait for it to completely fade before a removal. During this time you should also use a sun protection product on the tattoo.
- Wear loose fitting clothing so that when you complete your removal, the affected area doesn’t come into contact with tight-fitting material.
- Take a painkiller that doesn’t contain aspirin or ibuprofen, as these can exacerbate bleeding and bruising.
With these tips to guide your way, you’ll find that tattoo removal is easier than you thought it would be. If you want to find out more about your tattoo removal options, don’t hesitate to contact us today.